Job Title: Outside Operations Manager
Job Address: 1 Spruce Valley Drive, Fort McMurray Alberta, T9H5B4
Job Status: Full Time, Year Round
Onsite Private Staff Accommodations available
About Vista Ridge
Vista Ridge offers a unique and professionally enriching work environment, distinct from the conventional ski hill experience. We offer both winter and summer recreational opportunities to the families and a safe place where they can learn and develop their outdoor recreational skills. Located just outside Fort McMurray, Alberta, Vista Ridge started in 1996 as a small ski hill with a T-Bar and a rope tow, but over the years, has transformed into a year-round operation, making Vista Ridge one of the region’s most versatile facilities for outdoor recreation. Vista Ridge now includes an Aerial Park, a Mini Putt course and a brand new, 12-hole family style Golf Course with an Aqua Range and includes the first tube park in Alberta.
This Outside Operations Manager is responsible for the safe, efficient, and successful operation of the ski hill, tube park, terrain park, ice rink and golf course, including staff supervision and performance management and the general maintenance of all outdoor facilities and equipment.
Reports To: Director of Operations
- Snow Makers
- Lift Operators / Tube Park Attendants
- Ski Patrol
- Golf / Green Maintenance
- Greens Mower
- Golf Marshall
- Golf Attendant
- Aerial Park Guides
Roles & Responsibilities
Outdoor Operations and Maintenance:
- Plan and direct staff to carry out outside operational tasks.
- Step in and support outside operational tasks when needed.
- Perform/oversee daily, weekly, monthly, and annual lift maintenance.
- Oversee maintenance inventory.
Winter-Specific Outdoor Operations and Maintenance:
- Perform/oversee maintenance on snowmaking systems.
- Perform/oversee maintenance on slope grooming equipment.
- Oversee maintenance inventory.
- Assist with base area snow-clearing.
- Oversee Ice Rink operations.
- Conduct regular safety compliance checks on outdoor equipment.
Summer-Specific Outdoor Operations and Maintenance:
- Perform/oversee maintenance of golf course and aerial park equipment and utility vehicles.
- Oversee and assign staff to turf maintenance on the golf course/base area.
Staff Performance Management:
- Monitor staff performance and provide constructive feedback to support performance improvements as needed.
- Lead team meetings.
- Ensure each of the team members are set up for success, by providing them with leadership, clear direction, training, and the proper tools and resources to do their job.
Safety and Regulations:
- Adhere to all regulations and safety codes that have applicable jurisdiction.
- Ensure the outside operations adhere to all Vista Ridge policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in health and safety program.
- Provide first aid coverage as needed.
- Assist with emergency lift evacuation training and response.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Director of Operations.
- Personable and professional with the ability to build strong relationships and interact with Vista Staff at all levels of the organization.
- Strong ability to prioritize and make effective decisions.
- Ability to lead by example and motivate all employees.
- Works well under pressure.
- Experience in a supervisory or management position.
- 5+ years experience in a ski resort environment or 5+ years experience in a golf course environment.
- Advanced first aid and ski patrol training, CSIA or CASI certifications as asset.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Will be required to work in fast paced environment in varying weather conditions.
- Standing and moving around for extended periods of time.
- Perform moderate lifting, carrying, pulling and/or pushing (i.e. more than 10 lbs/4.5 kg but less than 50lbs/23 kg) as required.
Amazing Work Perks
- Growth and development opportunities, both personal and professional.
- Discounts on food and beverage.
- Discounts on rental equipment.
- Access to pro-deals.
- Free use of activities at Vista Ridge.
- Affordable on-site accommodations.