Employment Opportunity Notice
The City of Greater Sudbury requires Specialty Youth Program Instructor (2) (Head Ski/Snowboard Instructor) (Funded Positions)
Reporting Location: Adanac Ski Hill
Contract Part Time Positions
Estimated Probable Duration: Until March 25, 2022 (Weather Permitting)
Up to 48 Hours Bi-Weekly (Shift Work Required)
The Recreation Services Section, Leisure Services Division, Community Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires two (2) Specialty Youth Program Instructor(s) (Head Ski/Snowboard Instructors). The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $21.38 to $25.18 per hour.
Main Function: To design a lesson format (e.g. Skiing, Snowboarding) that encourages safety and class participation, and to deliver the program.
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Recreation co-ordinator.
1. Design a class format that encourages safety and class participation and deliver the program (e.g. Skiing, Snowboarding)
2. Perform proper techniques as to not cause injury or harm to any pupil in the class.
3. Instruct at the appropriate level for each class.
4. Be attentive and alert to the regards of all pupils in the class.
5. May provide supervision and guidance to Program Instructors assisting with class delivery, as required.
6. Maintain a clean/safe activity space and ensure that equipment is maintained and properly set up.
7. Responsible for being aware of the facility policies in place at the program site.
8. Inform Immediate Supervisor of any program issues, facility problems, and/or misconduct by a class participant.
9. Maintain accurate attendance records and ensure Program Evaluation Forms are distributed to participants.
10. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
11. Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- For Skiing Programs; must possess Canadian Ski Instructor Alliance (CSIA) Level II.
- For Snowboarding Programs; must possess CASI Level II. Freestyle or Terrain Parks certification is an asset.
- Must be a certified instructor in good standing.
- Must hold current CPR and First Aid Certificate for designated positions.
- Two and one-half (2½) up to and including five (5) years of related experience in the designated field (e.g. Skiing, Snowboarding).
- Up to six (6) months of teaching experience.
- For Ski Instructor; familiarity with the CSIA Skier Development Program “Mini Viking”.
- For Snowboard Instructor; familiarity with the CASI “Quick Ride” Program.
- Best practices within areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Demonstrate participation in continuing education courses and workshops.
- Demonstrate commitment to the philosophy and goals of CGS’s programs.
Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal skills an asset.
Provide at own cost, a Criminal Records Check, for designated positions.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City’s mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice. For more information, please visit our website at www.greatersudbury.ca.
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail to: [email protected] or facsimile number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX21-835) on your resume.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.